Operations Director (gn)
vor 1 Woche
Personalwesen & Human Resources, Leitung & Management, Produkt-/Projektmanagement
- Hilf uns dabei, die Welt etwas besser zu machen!
Operations Director, Europe and Central Asia and Berlin Office Director
Do you want to help make the world a better place with your expertise in programmatic operations? We are seeking an Operations Director and Berlin Office Director based in Berlin to streamline and ensure local compliance of key programmatic operations and people processes across the Europe-Eurasia region and to manage the Berlin Hub Office of Open Society Foundations.
The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and inclusive democracies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people. We are active in more than 120 countries, making us the world’s largest private funder of independent groups working for justice, democratic governance, and human rights.
The Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region of Open Society Foundations combines grant-making, advocacy, strategic litigation and impact investment on a diverse range of objectives relating to human rights, rule of law, democracy and social justice. In so doing, we work with civil society, local government, media, policy experts and other philanthropies to implement a wide range of programmatic activities to further open society across the entire European and Eurasian geographical space. Click here for more information about Open Society Foundations and its work.
As Operations Director Europe and Central Asia and Berlin Office Director at Open Society you will
Execute duties of the Operations Director for Europe and Central Asia (ECA)
- Ensure robust, state-of-the-art administrative, managerial and operations processes for the ECA.
- Implement and ensure security standards for the region’s programmatic work in cooperation with the global IT and Facilities departments.
- Monitor budget processes and execute budget planning and implementation
- Work closely with the Executive Director for Europe and Central Asia and with other parts of the OSF network, to ensure the streamlining and effectiveness of operations, and relevant synergies
- Oversee operations personnel across the integrated region, including in locations with an OSF presence across the region
Execute the general management duties of the Berlin Office Director
- Translate OSF’s global policies into a locally appropriate strategy for the development of the Berlin Office
- Ensure all operations activities and the work of the relevant departments in the Berlin Office are fully compliant with local legislation and standards.
- Manage collaboration with the Works Council (Betriebsrat) in close cooperation with the Human Resources department (HR) and with the Office of the General Counsel (OGC).
- Build strong relationships with local authorities and partners, as well as key global stakeholders.
Partner with global and local operations departments to ensure robust processes compliant with local legislation
- Work in matrix collaboration and partnership with the Global Heads of the operations departments (including Real Estate & Facilities, HR, Finance and OGC) to ensure a consistent people-centric approach, in line with the global policies and strategy.
- Act as key advisor for operational decisions that affect OSF local presence.
- In partnership with operations units, maintain a safe and comfortable working environment, which is competitive with that of local counterparts and incentivizes the acquisition and retention of excellent staff.
- Balance out local and global needs by establishing and maintaining strong collaborative relationships with global stakeholders.
Foster a common office culture in strong collaboration with local HR
- Develop a sense of identity for the Berlin office beyond programmatic and operational unit silos and foster a common work culture among the staff based there.
- Foster positive morale, a constructive and respectful working environment, and a sense of community in the office. This involves many activities, including overseeing the implementation of office social events intended to foster interaction and collegiality, office-internal communication activities and the development of strategies for embedding OSF in the Berlin civil society and philanthropic landscape.
- Identify opportunities to enhance the well-being of staff at work. Solicit staff feedback regarding support services, working conditions, and suggestions for improvements.
- Act as a conduit for staff to engage with management about personnel issues and other challenges.
- Actively support existing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives at the office.
What we are looking for
- Minimum 15 years progressively responsible work experience in a variety of organizations
- Proven track record of general management in an international, ideally global Matrix organization.
- Experience of a COO position or leadership of at least one operational function relevant to this role.
- Experience and basic understanding of programming in the broad field of philanthropy, civil society support and policy, ideally in relevant parts of the Europe-Eurasia region
- In depth knowledge of German labor law, experience working with Works Councils under German legislation (Betriebsräte) and of how to lead an office according to German standards.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and German.
- Track-record of working in hierarchies and exercising authority, while nurturing peer leadership and maintaining excellent, trust-based staff relationships.
- Commitment to continuous learning and growth in the areas of diversity, equity, inclusion, anti-racism and social justice.
- Commitment to listening and working with humility; ways of working that are respectful to all people; and that support space and voice for all diverse perspectives in our workplace.
- Solid networks and partnerships in the Berlin institutional landscape.
What we offer
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual professional development allowances to onsite trainings and learning conversations with visiting experts.
- Top-notch benefits and perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. With some variability according to location, this includes generous time off, flexible work arrangements, employer-paid health insurance, generous retirement savings plan, progressive paid parental leave, reproductive and family planning support, sabbatical opportunities, and much more.
- A commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace that enables everyone to bring their full self to work and make a positive impact on the world.
If this sounds like the position you have been looking for, please submit your cover letter and CV; we look forward to learning more about you.
Please note, this position is not eligible for work authorization sponsorship.
Competitive rates of pay apply.
Open Society Foundations is committed to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion, and to building a diverse staff that reflects the movements, issues and communities that our mission serves. Candidates from all underrepresented backgrounds, identities and communities are encouraged to apply.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and colleagues with disabilities.
Open Society Foundations
Die Open Society Foundations eröffneten 2018 ein neues Regionalbüro in Berlin. Dort beschäftigen sich rund 100 Mitarbeiter*innen mit lokalen, regionalen und globalen Themen um Rechtssystemreformen, grundlegender Gesundheitsversorgung sowie der Arbeit mit europäischen Roma-Communities.
Wir sehen unsere Aufgabe darin Informationen für die Masse zugänglich zu machen und wollen die Menschen über aktuelle Situationen in der Welt aufklären oder auf Handlungsmöglichkeiten hinweisen.
Unsere Vision ist, dass Wissen allen zur Verfügung steht und deshalb setzen wir uns dafür ein, dass sich Menschen mit ihren unterschiedlichen Lern- und Leistungsvoraussetzungen mit Wissen, Fertigkeiten und Fähigkeiten weiterentwickeln können.
Mit unserer Arbeit fördern wir demokratisches Bewusstsein, erhöhen das Verständnis von politischen Sachverhalten und wollen die Bereitschaft zur politischen Mitarbeit in der Bevölkerung stärken.
Gesellschaft fair gestalten
Wir setzen uns dafür ein, dass der Staat verantwortungsvoll mit politischer Macht und öffentlichen Ressourcen umgeht. Die Art und Weise wie in einem Staat Entscheidungen getroffen und politische Inhalte formuliert und umgesetzt werden geht uns alle etwas an!
Open Society Foundations
+49 (30) 300139630